AutoDirector forum

The AutoDirector support and advice forum

DATAFOLDER permissions

Page: 1

Author Post
I keep getting ; Setting read/write permissions on DATAFOLDER (data/) ... FAILED.
I also get ; Generating data files for "example" site ... FAILED. The following errors were reported:
Your vehicle list could not be saved to data/example/vehicles.js.
Please try again or contact your administrator if this error continues to occur.

Everything else comes back as a success. I have used fireftp in Auto mode to upload files and I have set all permissions to 755 for folder, sub folders & files.
I now seem to be able to login does this mean its working? Even thought the setup.php comes back with errors?
Please can you help me? :'(
« Last edit by frazzle on Fri 17 December, 2010 23:54. »
Update : I am able to login but when I try to create new site I am continously asked to provide a different siteid
Administrator
Hi frazzle,

The data folder (and sub-folders) still cannot be written to. Try setting permission to 777 and re-running the setup.

If that fails, I'd suggest contacting your ISP to ask what you need to do to enable file writing in PHP. I suspect a CHOWN or some other modification is required.

I hope that helps.
Craig - I contacted my host and they told me how to do the chown modification. My read/write settings on the Data folder and all its contents are set to 777 (rwxrwxrwx). Still when I run setup I get :

Setting read/write permissions on DATAFOLDER (data/) ... FAILED. It may be necessary to chmod this directory (and possibly all its sub-directories) to 755 if futher errors are encountered below.
Generating data files for "example" site ... FAILED. The following errors were reported:
Your vehicle list could not be saved to data/example/vehicles.js.
Please try again or contact your administrator if this error continues to occur.

Everything else comes back as successful.
Administrator
It is probably OK. The setup attempts to set the folder permissions, but it's probably restricted from doing so. Try using the control panel to create a site and add vehicles. If it works, everything's fully installed successfully.

Page: 1