AutoDirector forum

The AutoDirector support and advice forum

Post individual vehicle

Page: 1

Author Post
Hi all

I have downloaded the demo version of the software and am testing it out to see if it fits my requirements.

So far so good.

Quick question, how do i get it display just one car. I have read the instructions and can't get it to display.

I know I have to use the following:

http://www.mysite.com/stock.html?id=6

but what do I do with it.

Cant just put that on the page, it displays as text.

I am having a blonde moment I am sure

Thanks for the help
That can be used as a html encoded link by using [a href = "that link"] see this one particular car now![/a]
replace the [] with <>

If you want to display info about a selected car you can always extract the details using a little PHP and MySQL, but that requires a leap in programming skills!

There may be a better solution along from someone else...
Administrator
I think this is the same question as here:
http://www.autodirector.co.uk/forum/topic-105.html
yes it is - for some reason i did it twice.

Sorry
Okay now I know I can make a link to the special offer etc etc is there a way to call all of the information for that car to the page just on its own.

For example if i wanted an entry that looks just like a single entry in the stock.php file but on the homepage.

This I could then use to display the car of the week or something similar but with an image and some details of the actual car.

Is the some php code that could be included in the index page that could make this happen or is it more complicated than that?

Many thanks
I am happy to pay for someone to write a mod to make this happen.

Basically I want to call to the index page all of the information including the thumbnail picture into an area called Managers special. This would somehow need to be selected by the user, maybe via the admin panel.

There is a chance that that there will be 2 boxes on the homepage which basically do the same thing.

Any offers?
Administrator
It should be relatively straight-forward. I'll have a think about it and get back to you.
ok thanks
I have written a tool to do this already. It selects all the cars from the garage and displays a "managers special" which is basically the car with the lowest view count on it. So when someone clicks the box it takes them to the main autodirector page about that car.
when you return to the index page, of course the script now shows a new car as the original car now has a registered view, and is no longer the least viewed.

In fact I have expanded on that to show specific cars - eg

"VW Golf - selection available from $5000" - by selecting all golfs by price and displaying the cheapest - it then utilises the first script to display a managers special if no golfs are in stock.

This works well if you are a main stockist - eg VW, or mainly trade in one make.

If you add two boxes and a managers special - it tracks all the cars chosen to ensure the managers special isnt the same as what the main boxes are also displaying.

eg
the code is like
show( "golf")
show( "polo")
show("special")

if there are no golfs or polos, it would show three specials - all different.
if the special is the same as the 1st golf or polo - it will find the next least viewed car.

I can update your site for you to include this script then you can call it from the home page for a small fee - I just need your ftp details or I can email the php file to include yourself with instructions. You can pay me with paypal. Contact me through my profile.
Administrator
Thanks Snizbit. If anyone else has useful mods or scripts, please feel free to give them away, sell or promote them on this forum. The hacks and mods section can also be used.
Hi there,

Thanks for all that info, but I have now sorted it all out and am up and running

Many thanks

Page: 1