AutoDirector forum

The AutoDirector support and advice forum

Custom fields + private files

Page: 1

Author Post
Custom fields would be useful so we can add our own tags. For example car type, a reference number, etc.

One area that would be very helpful with is for internal or private use only fields. For example we might want some info about the car be visible to everyone but some fields visible only to the dealer. Using css of we could control who sees what.

But right now I can't think of a way to do it except for duplicating the show room (which could mean duplication of work plus the chance the two showrooms get out sync,meaning a car gets added to one with one price but added in the other showroom with a different price),
Administrator
Nice idea. Would a single private "notes" box suffice, or would you want individual fields based on your own data criteria?
certainly a private notes box would work but it would be much more flexible (and I'm sure more work for you ) if it allowed for several custom fields (3-5) so each person using your software could use the custom fields for whatever they want; some visible, some hidden. I imagine that flexibility would be welcome by a lot of your customers.

With the flexible approach each user of your software can decide which field(s) is or isn't visible (assuming that hidden mean that fields data is not returned to the browser and simply hidden since anyone viewing the source code could still see it)

If that is too complicated then a few custom fields and one field marked as private would still be useful.

Thanks for listening
Administrator
I think that would be possible. We would probably assume that each custom field is a string (rather than a number, currency, date, etc). That would make it easier for the user, but it would mean that you wouldn't necessarily be able to list vehicles in the order of that field.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion - it's in our (increasingly large) to-do list!
Yes custom fields are what I need. I have a client who sells re-built and custom cars. He also sells parts and wishes to also have a Db for current projets in which he would like fields like date started: Expected Finish Date for example/ As there would be a mix/match of required fields, over 3 Db sections, then we would need all fields to be switch on or off.

Page: 1