AutoDirector forum

The AutoDirector support and advice forum

Installed but showroom does not appear

Page: 1

Author Post
I installed autodirector 1.8. The progress failed the first time indicating it couldn't sent the roper permission on DATA/ (even though it was 755). I changed that folder and al its subfolders to 777 and reran the install and it indicated success.

I can log into the control panel and set up new users and change the preferences but nothing shows up in the Showroom. I inserted the DIV and Javascript.lines. yet nothing appears on that web page (the example that shipped with it is installed)

I manually checked that the "carlist.php?site=example..." exists (it returns a screen of code starting with 'var setup=[];
setup.cssfile="";... ' (although the hosting site appends some analytics script at the end) and the thumbs and pict directories are present and have pictures in them.

Any idea why the showroom doesn't display anything (and I mean nothing... no pictures, no text, no search).
Update... I'm guessing the showroom isn't being displayed because the code while the code "<div id="autodirector">" is in the webpage there is no css file loaded with that ID. I had selected the blue theme but I don't think the code is loading the appropriate blue.css

As a test, (working on a copy) I went into carlist.php and changed "setup.cssfile="";" to setup.cssfile="client/blue.css"; and then the showroom showed up (although it wasn't the most attractive and listed everything down the page with no boxes around anything.

So for whatever reason after running the installer it seems like no css file is being used (although the instructions say it can be installed with just the two lines of code in to a web page.

Help
Administrator
The CSS template is specified in the script tag as a style. The URL will be something like:

http://mysite.com/autodirector/carlist.php?site=mysite&style=blue

Take a look at the integration options icon, then "basic...". Click a link and you'll see the code you need to cut and paste into your web page.

If it still doesn't work, try using another browser. Note that various Firefox add-ons can block it, especially Noscript and, under some circumstances, AdBlock.
I determined what the problem was (and it wasn't easy to track down). The web hosting company was inserting Google analytic JavaScript code into the end of the scripts at run time (so you can't see the code by just looking into at the source file; you have to see what code is fetched into the browser).

You might want to have a look and see if your code can co-exist with the google code since a lot more sites are starting to use it.
Administrator
Hi. AutoDirector does co-exist with Google Analytics - it does on our website's demonstration page. I suspect that it could be your ISP's JavaScript functions clashing with AutoDirector.

Are you using v1.8? That should cause fewer issues? Alternatively, send me the URL of a page that's failing so I can take a look.
Yes I'm using v1.8. It could be ISP's code (I would have thought they used the code provided but Google). I don't think I kept a copy of it but I can get it back. I have to pick late in the evening when I know no now is playing around with it. Would it be good enough if I send you the generated script (your code + the google stuff appended to the bottom). For me to give you a link means leaving Analytics turned on since I won't know when you would be available to view it (and assuming you are in the UK you are several hours ahead of me).

If that's works for you which address should I send it to.
Administrator
A page/JS file dump will be fine. Send it to our standard sales@ email address, thanks.
Sent.
Administrator
Email sent back. It's not Google Analytics, but another third-party script. I don't have that code but, if it causes a JavaScript error, it would prevent other scripts running (including AutoDirector).

Page: 1